- Have a notepad or clipboard handy to jot down reminders.
- Have everything packed and ready to go by the time your helpers arrive.
- Make sure the movers have clear directions to your new home and that someone
will be there to greet them.
- Make sure the moving van has a convenient place to park. Mark off the parking
area with cones or other suitable objects. Make sure the moving truck doesn’t
block a neighbour’s driveway.
- When loading and unloading, make sure the movers don’t walk over your
- Try not to move too early or too late in the day.
- Confine your pet or arrange for a friend or family member to care for your pet
during the move. Another alternative is to take your pet to the groomer for the
- Food and refreshments for your family and the movers.
- Leave your old house as clean as you would like to find your new house. Clean
as much as you can before moving day, and then make a final check after
everything is out.
- Stay around until the movers are finished loading. You will be asked to sign a
bill of lading and to check an inventory sheet. Read the documents carefully
- Remember the last walk-through of all rooms.
- If the movers have done a good job for you, it is customary to tip them around
$20 each, depending on the difficulty of the move.
- It will be less stressful if you know that you don’t have to unpack everything
in one day or even in one week.
- If you have prepared well, furniture and boxes can be unloaded directly into
the correct rooms.
- Focus on one room at a time, beginning with the kitchen, followed by the