- The two essential ingredients of a successful move are manpower and hauling
- Calculate whether moving yourself actually makes economic sense. Add up all
moving costs including boxes, packing material, gas, meals, truck rental and
insurance. Compare it against a quote from a professional moving company.
- Four questions to ask yourself:
- Do I have time to pack and move all my goods?
- Am I physically capable of moving heavy pieces?
- Do I know enough people who can and are willing to help me move?
- Can I drive a rental truck? If not, who can?
- If you do rent a truck, it’s better to rent a larger one than you think you’ll
need. Otherwise, you will have to make more than one trip.
a Professional Mover
- Ask family and friends for recommendations.
- If in doubt, check with the Better Business Bureau.
- Determine the size, distance and timing of your move.
- Choose between a “self service” move (you pack and unpack) or a
“full service” move (the moving company packs and unpacks).
- Obtain a written cost estimate.
- Review insurance coverage. There are three types:
1. Standard coverage.
2. Assessed value coverage.
3. Full replacement coverage.